Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Power of a Determined Mind

Tuesday August 30th I had a doctor’s appointment at which he told me I was dilated 5 centimeters and could go into labor any day. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday came around and still no baby. By Friday I was determined to have the baby that day! I had been talking to a co-worker who told me that with her first baby her husband got tired of waiting and took her to the hospital even though she wasn’t in labor. They eventually gave her some drugs and sent her home but the drugs put her into labor. I decided right then that I was going to the hospital that day no matter what. I contemplated whether I should go directly from work since it was so close to my work but forty minutes from our house, but then Alex and I would have two cars at the hospital and that wasn’t practical. So, after work on Friday I drove home and noticed I lost some of my mucus plug, which didn’t mean a whole lot. (My sister in law told me her water didn’t break for a week after losing her plug. I called Alex anyway and told him I was having a baby and he needed to come and take me to the hospital. Alex came speeding home like a mad man and I calmly, (since I wasn’t really in labor) told him he had time to change his clothes and drive slowly. He asked me the whole way to the hospital how far apart my contractions were and if they were getting worse. I calmly responded that they were three to four minutes apart I guess. We made the forty minute drive to the hospital and I still wasn’t in labor. We checked in, telling the nurses I was having contractions three to four minutes apart even though I still wasn’t feeling anything. The nurses got me all set up and said that I didn’t seem to be progressing but that they would watch me for one hour and then decide if they were going to send me home. I told Alex to say a prayer that I progressed because we were absolutely not going home. Before the hour ended I started having HORRIBLE contractions, the hospital admitted me and I had a baby 6 hours later. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.